CritterJAM is a once-a-month art jam focused on drawing a wide variety of animals, primarily species that are strange, unusual, or under-represented in art. Our objective as artists is to expand our horizons and step out of our comfort zones, both to strengthen our skills and to learn more about animals in the process!
Who can participate?
Anyone can join in at any time! All skill levels are allowed.
How does it work?
Quite simple, really! Once a month a different animal will be chosen by the mods to be drawn, and you portray it in whatever medium you wish.
What's the point?
The point is to have fun, learn about animals, and stretch your artistic muscles a bit! CritterJAM is not a contest, it's just a fun community exercise.
Can I become a contributor?
If you have at least four pieces of art in the 'Featured' folder, you are eligible to become a contributor.
How do I get featured?
The mods decide which images get featured. The 'Featured' folder is to showcase examples of excellence and the quality of work participants should strive for. Quality is determined by the creativity in which the critters have been portrayed, not technical skill. This means anyone has the potential to be featured!
1. The mods decide on what animals will be drawn. Please do not complain if you do not like the critter chosen for the round, simply do not participate if you don't like it.
2. Time will not be extended for you. If you miss the round, move onto the next.
3. Be kind and supportive to each other! Absolutely no harassment or drama. If you have a problem with someone or a submission, contact a mod and they will settle the issue.
4. The mods will vote on what art is featured. Do not ask/beg for art to be featured, please.
5. Submit to the correct folder, and do not submit more than four images per round.
● Art can be traditional, digital, sculpture, or even a 3D model. No photographs or photo-manips, though.
● Image must feature the critter for the current round! Other animals can be involved, but the focus needs to be on our chosen animal of the month.
● Anthropomorphic art is fine, but the anatomy of the critter should lean toward animal rather than humanoid (for example, art like Secret of Nimh would be fine, but art like Blacksad would not be).
● Sketches are fine to submit, but they must be presentable and obvious effort should be evident.
● Do not submit WIPs, submit the most final image you plan on creating for the round.
● Please, nothing horrifically gruesome or sexually explicit, keep it PG!
● Original works only! Do not copy others' designs.
I don't know how to submit to groups!
No worries, this will show you how!
I missed the round, but I still want to draw x critter!
Go right on ahead, no one's stopping you! Notify us and we will add it to the group favorites.
I have an important question/comment/concern!
Send a note to the group or to squeedgemonster
I'd like to affiliate!
Great, send us an affiliation request and the mods will vote on it.
I have a great idea for next round's critter!
You do? Awesome! Leave a comment here and tell us why you think it'd be a good choice.